Join us in the adventures of our family, with our Belarussian Prince, Guatemalan Princessa and Ukrainian Princesses!


Sunday, September 21, 2008

almost back to the living!


It has been a tough recuperation from this foot surgery. I did not expect it at all! I truly thought I would be up and walking on the boot the next day :)
I took the pain meds they gave me every 5-6 hours, elevated my foot and iced it.
Wednesday I called the Dr's office to see if they could up the meds as it was just not doing anything. They called in a heavier dose and told me to alternate both meds every 2 hours till bed and then go back to the lower dose every 5-6 hours. I finally felt a little better by Thursday.
Luckily we have wood floors downstairs so I have been using my computer chair to whip around the house. It is exhausting doing anything.
when I woke up Friday I felt better and decided not to take any more meds at all just ice it and take motrin. Victoria had to go to Children's hospital for two procedures Friday afternoon so I strapped on my boot and we headed out.
I was able to walk through the parking garage and was exhausted when we got inside. Dan got me a wheelchair to use while we were there and that helped alot.
Victoria had to have ultrasounds of her kidneys and bladder done, which were not bad at all. She cried but at least it was over quickly.
Then we had to have a really horrible test done where her bladder is filled via catheter with contrast and then they video it as she pees. Only one parent was allowed in and Dan just couldn't do it. It was the longest 45 minutes of my life! She was furious and stubbornly refused to go! Her whole body was rigid, her belly fully extended and she was SCREAMING at the top of her lungs!
I finally got her to calm down enough to hear me tell her that if she just went pee then Daddy could come in and save her, and it worked!
I have never been so happy in my life!! They took all their pictures, video and I were able to wipe her off and hug her!
When we let Dan in he was about to go bonkers and she was so happy to see him she stopped crying and he was able to comfort her while I dressed her.
While the radiologist checked the video I got our stuff together and before we got the green light to go Victoria was sound asleep!! The poor thing was so exhausted :(
We have to wait till Monday or Tuesday to find out the results.
These tests were to find out if she has urine reflux, where the urine refluxes back up to her kidneys. This condition could cause kidney damage and one of the symptoms is frequent UTI's.
Both Victoria and I slept the whole way to pick up Danny at school, we were all exhausted! Needless to say it was an early night after take out for dinner.
She seems to have no aftereffects, no pain at all, thank heavens!

3 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

So glad you are back with us, missed you and it sounds like you have had a lot going on while trying to recuperate! Keep us posted on little missy's issue.

Don and Be said...

We wish y'all peace and all the sleep you need.

Anonymous said...

Sure hope you got good results today.

Hugs,
Auntie M.E.